Wednesday 11 July 2012

Home made Sausage Rolls

Well here it is the recipe that caused a frenzy on my FB page, maybe because it was around lunchtime when l posted the photo and everyone was hungry ( l know l was) or the yummy looking photo, but for me it was the smell pure and simple and if you could smell through the computer screen l would off had you all at my door.
So batten down the hatches and start baking these.

This recipe makes about 6-7 dozen so make sure you have a few spare hours.
They can be frozen for up to 6mths but good luck getting them to last that long.

Before you start: l am not a master-chef nor claim to be one this is a recipe that my family and l have used for years as such measurements and methods are a guide only.



You will need:
About 8 sheets of Puff  Pastry- I use Pampas Brand as l found this to be the nicest ( l have used home brands but the kids don't like them as much)

Lay out the sheets of pastry to thaw before making the sausage mixture.

2kg Sausage Mince- I buy mine from the butcher because it's nicer than supermarket.
2 med- large onions chopped finly
2 med- large carrots - grated
2 cloves garlic minced - I started adding this to help ward of the winter colds & flu
about 1/2 bunch fresh parsley - you can add dry just use what you think
3 eggs -2 to mix in mixture and 1 to glaze sausage rolls before baking
Salt & Pepper to taste.

Mix all this into a bowl- this kids love doing this bit as they can get their hands in something gooey.

I cut my pastry sheets in half and in the middle of this l make a sausage using the mixture, l then roll it together and cut it evenly into 5 pieces.

Place these onto a lightly greased oven tray (and if your like me this is where you remember to turn on the oven about 180 degree's will do)
Pick holes in tops using a fork, glaze with beaten egg and place in oven to cook until a lovely golden brown.

You can serve with any number of sauce's if you want our favorite is tomato.

If you have any left let cool and place in freezer bags and freeze
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

 


2 comments:

  1. They look beautiful on photo! Recipe seems interesting and easy, perfect for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the hardest part of the recipe for me was actually remembering what l had to write down to share with you all.I've made hundreds over the years and it's just second nature now.
      Happy baking and please let me know what you think after the taste test.
      Cheers
      Marie

      Delete

I love to read comments and your thoughts on my blog so please take the time to leave one.
Thank you